Thursday, May 27, 2010

Good Luck, My Friend.

Usually I like the act of eating alone. I am not talking about eating a sandwich on the go while I am running out of my house, and I am not talking about eating a bowl of soup while watching a movie. I am talking about going to a restaurant for lunch and sometimes dinner. Usually I bring along a book or a notebook, and I do some reading or writing. Oftentimes, when I look like I am doing one of the two, I am actually eavesdropping or watching those around me.

Usually, at least once a week, I eat a meal with my best friend Justin. He is moving next week, and with him, he is taking those shared mealtimes that up until now, I have taken for granted. I wholeheartedly admit that I have gotten annoyed in the past with how picky he is when he eats, and how he generally never enjoys a meal: "it could be better," "it wasn't that good," "I should have stuck with what I know," "that shit's nasty."

Today as I ate, instead of really enjoying my time alone (which I relish in most days), I realized how much of my time will be spent alone now. Each painstaking crunch of my not-so-good salad reminded me of how the crunch is all I will hear on Friday nights while I eat alone. And I am not saying I won't have other meal dates--I will--but none are the same as with Justin. I have his palate memorized, so that if he is in an alcohol-induced breakfast-time hangover, he looks to me to spit out "2 eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, and toast. Scrambled, wheat, and the bacon, limp." Who can I count on to test the water at Chiang Mai to tell me if it tastes "skunky" or if it is drinkable? And who will he count on to tell him the definitions of prosciutto or risotto for about the millionth time, only to remind him that he likes neither. Who will remind him that a tostada is not a taco salad?

Good luck my friend.

3 comments:

  1. I don't like the sound of eating. I don't like the way people sound when they eat, I don't like the way I sound when I eat. As a matter of fact, it takes all of my strength to ignore eating. It's why I eat fast, and take no prisoners at the dinner table.
    So, I regretfully decline your invitation to be a picky eating food snob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eating alone is good at times. whenever i was in SF for work, i'd eat dinner by myself. i think the restaurant owners always felt bad that i was alone therefore they'd provide extra attention. i didn't mind..i'd observe others.
    however, i understand the great joy of dining with good friends. i deeply miss my chicago crew, we dined pretty much every friday night and sometimes we'd even meet for brunches at good ole leo's lunchroom. can't get enough time with your buds!
    if you got skype we can arrange a meal together :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire: I don't have skype, and I can't follow you because you have your blog set to private, so I think you have to invite me.

    John: You are a curmudgeon, and I saw you enjoy a couple of hamatashen from Deli Days that I brought you. I think you swallowed the first one whole, so there.

    ReplyDelete