Thursday, January 27, 2011

One Month and Ten Days

It has been one month and ten days since I graduated.  I feel disappointed.  As I think every naive graduate has done, I came out of college swinging--thinking I was going to take the world by storm.  Here is a list of the things I have done since I have been out of school:

1.) Spied on the neighbor throwing his dog's poop in my trash can.
2.) Finished 0 new essays.
3.) Drank lots of coffee.
4.) Sent a proposal to Bust Magazine.
5.) Eaten a lot of Lamb Grinders from Bar Gernika and drank a lot of Red Seal to go along with them.
6.) Made a list of goals on how to become a popular writer and make money writing.
7.) Worked
8.) Watched almost two seasons of Intervention (though I don't watch the full episodes, just the messed up parts.)
9.) Finished a couple of books.
10.) Read the book Your Stupid, Stupid Decision to Go to Grad School and laughed and gave myself an ulcer from worry.
11.) Made a list of three ideas of essays I should write.
12.) Moped and cried because I am not taking the world by storm.
13.) While moping and feeling worthless, I decided I should revamp my cafe on Zynga's CafeWorld on Facebook.  I am humiliated each day because while I know I should be writing, I am busy cooking White Radish Cake and serving Triple Berry Cheesecake, all the while wishing the cheesecake was real so I could do some emotional eating and wondering how much I would be made fun of by friends who knew I had started to play the game again.


Someone gave me a peptalk the other day about how most people think they will take the world by storm when they get out of college--I'm not an exception--and most don't.  I responded by crying and saying "But I WAAAAAANNNTTT tooooooo."

The problem is, in order to make it as a writer, you must write.  And in order to write, you must sit down, ass in chair (as that Ballenger voice says in my head) and WRITE!  But how do you write when you don't feel motivated and you feel like your life is in limbo while waiting to see if you're accepted to graduate school? And how do you write when you wake up one day and realize you've become a sniveling, entitled, whining sad-sack about it all.  And then you see something so discouraging to your psyche that you think antidepressants may be in order.

Today, I woke to find that one of my classmates is writing for a local paper.  And while I am happy one of us is doing something, I am also disheartened because this girl is also the one that in class when someone told her she had a lot of run-on sentences (this was an upper-division English class), she said she had no idea what that meant.  And she also said she had no idea what a complete sentence was.  If she knew what a complete sentence was, then I would be happier.  And if I knew she really wanted to be a writer, I would be happier.  But in class, she said something about how she didn't think the English degree was for her, and she had decided to go into nursing.  But somehow, even though writing isn't her "thing," she still got a job writing.   It makes me sound like a bitch, and I am, and I don't care.  But it also baffles me.  Maybe she got it because she tried, but I feel sort of defeated that someone like that, who can't write a complete sentence, made it in a small way.  I don't want to write hard news; I want to be funny and be a bitch and gross people out and make them laugh until they piss themselves. And maybe she put in the hard work, and in the month since we graduated, learned what a complete sentence is, so I should be happy for her.  And maybe I should stick my neck out there more because no one knows I exist behind this computer, sporting unwashed hair, going braless, wearing grubby pajamas and drinking coffee while stroking my cat.  If I take a shower, maybe then I can take a little bit of the world by storm.

9 comments:

  1. "Life is not a spectacle or a feast; it's a predicament." —George Santayana

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH!

    I'd feel bad to say I'm happy someone else feels this way, but I suppose misery loves company.

    After I graduated and moved to Corvallis, I spent two months (yes, TWO WHOLE MONTHS) unemployed. And while a lot of that time was spent searching for a job to not be unemployed, I had a lot of time on my hands to just sit on my ass. But did I write?
    I didn't even write a blog.
    It was so depressing all I could write about was being depressed, and that depressed me further, and then I just didn't write at all.

    Then last week I had a breakdown and cried because while I was hoping the Peace Corps might jumpstart my "taking the world by storm", it was now turning into a shaky plan, and I was left with the fact that I've been done with school for a year and a half and I haven't done anything for my writing career, but worked at a coffee shop for minimum wage and look for teaching jobs in other countries so that I can at least be in poverty in a different place.

    I try to tell myself all writers don't start out running. Some people take years to find something they really want to sit on their ass and pour hours into working on. Writing doesn't have to follow the way the rest of America is with its careers, making you feel like if you're not a multi-millionaire by 30 you're too far behind the game.

    Writing shouldn't be a rat race like it is for so many other things (even though I know it can be) and I'll make my time for writing but not get upset if I haven't flown to the moon and back yet with my successes.

    At least, this is what I tell myself, because otherwise it's too hard to live with the pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me about half a year, and I'm finally starting to feel ok. I'm lucky that I have a job, and while it's still the one I was working at in college, I can pay the bills. I have a friend who graduated with an accounting degree and can't find a job. It truly does suck, but I promise it numbs eventually. It's ok to cry and throw a tantrum, because that's probably what needs to happen to light a fire under our asses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Michael. It is definitely a predicament. One I'm partaking in, like it or not sometimes.

    Thanks, Amanda. It feels good to know that someone feels the same for sure. I am glad you shared, and I am trying to work past my feelings. Your comment really made me feel better.

    Thanks, Carissa. It's good to have permission to cry and have tantrums because something about them makes me feel like their wrong, but I'm finding that a lot of people have the same experience when they first get out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well. I just love you. I'm glad we talked about this today. You are okay and this too will pass...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, April. I know it will at some point. I should tell you about the idea that this inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes you should! Next coffee date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. here's my 2 cents:
    1 penny: maybe instead of sitting and writing you should invest in a Dictaphone then you could let the thoughts flow whenever, wherever... only to be transcribed when you were ready to sit down and do it.

    2 penny: stop being so hard on yourself, it's only been a little bit since school ended. i mean, don't you deserve a little bit of a break??

    ReplyDelete