Thursday, December 16, 2010

Graduation Snuggie

This morning, I had a meltdown.  I was lying in bed, and I started sobbing about not being in school.  It seems crazy to think I am not going back next semester, and instead of being excited, I have wavered between feelings of disbelief and sorrow.  It feels like it is going to take me a few days to even come to grips with being free (other than work obligations).  I feel lost, a little directionless, and moronic for feeling this way.

When I arrived at work, my day changed.  A few days ago I typed up our White Elephant Gift Exchange Rules for our company Christmas party. Side note: it seems no matter how many rules are in place, the exchange usually ends in shambles; we make it about halfway through before people wander off to do shots or get drunken enough that they can't read which number they are--and I am just as guilty of this as anyone, and I think I am supposed to run the thing because I have a loud voice--and then there are just gifts lying around everywhere.  On the rules flyer, I inserted a subliminal picture of a Snuggie, hoping someone would catch on and bring it as their gift to exchange.  My master plan was to end up with the Snuggie, no matter what. 

Well, I didn't have to.  On my desk today sat a coveted Snuggie, a graduation gift from my coworkers.  Though I have talked about Snuggies for years, I have never had the guts to buy one seriously.  And though I have mentioned them, no one--until now--has gifted me one.  I was so excited that it seemed there were angels singing and the box was glowing.  The first dilemna: to put Snuggie on in front of everyone while working.  I had to restrain myself from doing it--I mean, really, it's all I could think about all night at work, but I never succumbed because I knew once I had Snuggie on, then I would want to put Snuggie to the test and wouldn't get much work done. 

Moments after I got home from work and slid in the door, I ditched my clothes and donned pajamas.  I unwrapped Snuggie, and my first thought was how do I get this damned thing on? It's so big!  And once I got it on, I made my way to the kitchen for a glass of water.  Snuggie is long and hard to walk in, and after I made it back to the bedroom, I forgot something in the kitchen and needed to head back, but since Snuggie is so big, and picked up a cat toy on the initial trip back from the kitchen, I decided to take Snuggie off.  OW!  Staticky!  With a ZAP! I was almost afraid to put Snuggie back on.  The static-factor is making me glad I didn't consider putting Snuggie on naked, seriously, because I considered it briefly, though my butt would have been hanging out the back like a hospital gown.  That made me think, what if I wear Snuggie like a robe? And I tried it.  I have the *new with pockets* Snuggie, and while it kind of made an interesting robe, it's still a blanket with sleeves.  I pulled Snuggie off once again, with a loud crack of static and shock to my ass, and decided, ultimately, Snuggie is probably best while lounging  (and it is incredibly warm and awesome) and typing a Snuggie story or reading a book, and that is where I am now.

So, while it hurts when the cat cuddles in my lap, both of us being zapped with static by each subtle movement, I think this was the perfect gift, a little distraction to forget my feelings of woe and give me feelings of WHOA!

1 comment: