Friday, June 11, 2010

End of the World As They Know It

On my way to Mountain Home on Wednesday morning to see my grandmother, I passed a semi with this message almost completely covering the back-end of his trailer in huge vinyl letters:

THE END OF THE WORLD IS ALMOST HERE!
HOLY GOD WILL BRING JUDGMENT DAY ON
MAY 21, 2011
www.familyradio.org

As I passed the truck on the left to get around him and to see who was inside--I thought maybe it was going to be Jesus (you never know)-- I noticed the cab had the same message in proportionately large letters covering the doors.

All I could think was, if the truck driver really believes that, what the hell is he doing driving a truck across the country? If I knew the world was going to end in less than a year, I wouldn't spend the rest of my earthly time working.

Oh, and I visited the website when I got home: it's not my thing.

6 comments:

  1. That's odd! When we drove to Twin Falls a few weeks back we saw a Zombie Assult Truck, with those words on the back window and zombie stickers all over it! I'm sorry but if it were dooms day and Zombies were attacking I would not get in a FORD!! How was your grandma??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, grandma...you know. But even worse than usual. I would equate the feeling to being stuck in a zombie attack. It's like, eat my brain already you mean old woman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm told that truck drivers are highly prized on the brain transplant donor list, because that organ is rarely used by them. Not so for the ass transplant list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interestingly enough, the narrator of Herman Melville's Moby Dick, Ishmael, has a similar attitude towards holy rollers. In chapter 7 (titled "The Chapel"), when Ishmael sees a bunch of people blubbering over the death of some loved ones, he asks himself, "[H]ow is it that we [that is, Christians] still refuse to be comforted for those who we maintain are dwelling in unspeakable bliss?" Similarly, I've always wondered why Christians maintain that the love of money is the root of all evil (1 Timothy 6:10) and that the cherishing material wealth is wrong (see Matthew 6:19-24), yet they are always asking for more in the offering plate...and never offering to give any of it to me!

    If you want to know how I feel about Christianity, read Bertrand Russell's Why I'm Not a Christian and Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason.

    ReplyDelete