Monday, June 21, 2010

Special K

I was out of tampons and coffee at the same time. I only wanted one stop, and you can't get tampons at all my favorite local coffee shops. Eight O'Clock coffee is the best whole bean coffee I have tasted available at the store--the problem being, you can only get it at one store--Walmart.

I got my coffee and tampons and headed for the checkout just in time to see a woman dip her hand into a box of Special K cereal and shovel a handful into her mouth.

As a child, if I got a drink out of one of the free standing coolers in the grocery store, my mom never let me open it until after we paid for it--even if I was DYING of thirst, I still had to wait. As an adult, if I am DYING of thirst and grab a bottle of water, I open it, and steal a few drinks before tightening the lid back down and putting it in my cart. Of course, I pay for it later. Every time I do this, I feel guilty, and I think of my mom's anger at the act.

Opening a box of Special K to eat dry cereal by the handful at the store seems to be pushing it. It's like opening a block of cheese to gnaw on the end, or buying a rotisserie chicken from the deli, ripping off the leg and having a meal of drumstick as you push the cart.

The only explanation comes from my friend: Walmart is like going to the state fair, all year long.

6 comments:

  1. If you think Walmart's bad, you should try the Winco at Fairview and Millwaukee. NEVER GO THERE!! I went for the first time last week, and right off the bat, this little woman dressed like a Hobbit, pooped her pants. No offense to someone so disenfranchised, but I won't be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: coffee shops do not sell tampons. I learn something new every day!
    I agree completely about Walmart being a sort of experience in human dysfunction. But I guess that all those people who once frequented the River Festival need a place to display their cuttoffs and facial tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another interesting fact: wal-mart is required to purposely hire "special" and "unique" people for tax breaks! Don't get me wrong I'm all for equal opportunity employment however using them to get a tax cut is disgustingly inappropriate! Wal-mart is always an
    adventure that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you ran out of tampons and coffee at the same time. I'm just sayin'...

    I never open anything at the grocery store before I pay for it—similar to your experience, I'd feel the ghost of my mom glaring at me disapprovingly—although I understand that there's really not anything wrong with doing so (as long as you do eventually pay for the product you open). On the other hand, I sometimes go to the bookstores and read magazines before I pay for them, and technically there isn't really any difference between that and sneaking a sip or two of your bottled water before you pay. And yes, there are times when I read an article or two but don't end up buying the magazine. So who am I to judge you or the Special K lady?

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading all of your comments, I feel like a little lady dressed like a Hobbit who just pooped her pants. Hilarious! Not so much the part about Walmart hiring "special" people on purpose.

    ReplyDelete