Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Touchdown Jesus

I don't think it's a sign that Touchdown Jesus was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. I do think it is sad--not because I am religious--but because having anything burned to the ground (whether it cost an unspeakable $250,000 to build or not) that you believed in has to suck. I am a fan of religious art because usually it is so eerie and spooky that it seems impossible that the faithful would worship it. Also, the depictions of Jesus differ so greatly, that it seems no one has it right.

These gigantic roadside religious statues (attractions) are a huge part of pop culture, and that to me is what makes them so interesting. When they are built, their builders have a different message in mind, I think. Meaning, come worship, not come check out the freakily huge Jesus! And for some, I think that message rings true, but for others, like me, it's the hard work and dedication that goes into building a huge likeness of someone or something that strikes me. Also, they are sort of awe-inspiring, much like seeing Mt. Rushmore for the first time.

The burning down of Touchdown Jesus (unfortunate, yet hilarious name) reminds me of the Cross of Our Lord Jesus Christ Ministries that was featured on an episode of This American Life. The cross is 19 stories tall and the COOLJCM claim that 10 million people stop to see it each year, as it is constructed right on Interstate 40 in Groom, TX. I almost believe that that many people stop.

It reminds me of a time when I took a road trip to Georgia to visit my sister. I had my best friend in tow, and as we passed the border from Wyoming into Nebraska, I saw a similar gigantic Jesus statue. As I remember, the statue wasn't right on the highway, but a ways off, and while I have researched it, the only thing it seems like it could be is a statue somewhere in Colorado on the border.

When I saw it, I remember slowing down, making my best friend take out the video camera to get a shot, which she missed. I was disappointed until she said, "You can't see the Holy Spirit on video camera. You can only see him in your heart."

It was hilarious, but I think she may have been right.

3 comments:

  1. I think a good headline for this item would be something like this:

    ACT OF GOD BURNS JESUS

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, the Romans considered facial hair to be a sign of barbarism, and very few prominent Roman men had beards or mustaches. Consequently, after Constantine was converted and Christianity became the official religion of Rome, very early Christian artwork depicted Jesus as clean shaven, as in the following example from a 4th-century mosaic of Christ as a teacher.

    Click here: 4th-century mosaic of Christ as a teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still am cracking up over ACT OF GOD KILLS JESUS. Also, the concept of a "You're Out!" Jesus like we talked about earlier today makes me laugh super hard!

    ReplyDelete