Monday, June 14, 2010

The Old Lady With the Condiments

Sometimes, I hate reading library books. I like reading books, but often, when I get books home from the library, they usually have crusted stuff in the pages, pages in the middle are stuck together, and sometimes, the plastic covering over the dust jacket feels as if someone was propping their book up in a bucket of KFC.

I don't know what the crusty stuff is--usually it looks like boogers or lollipop--and while the liquid that's holding page 67 to 68 (the best part of the book) seems as though it's just water, it could be milk or juice or soda or coffee or semen.

What? You don't believe me about the semen? Check out Noam Baumbach's The Squid and the Whale:



So, I saw this story in the news today:
74-year-old Boise woman arrested on suspicion of damaging library books with mayonnaise, liquids | News Updates | Idaho Statesman



And I have to say I am disturbed. Obviously, something needs to be addressed with this woman regarding her mental health or maybe it doesn't. Maybe she's pissed off that every time she tries to get a book, 98 other people have it on hold. Maybe she's angry about her fines or about the lack of parking at the Boise Public Library. Or maybe she mistakes the return boxes for condiment trash cans. Whatever it is, it's made her so angry that she's been doing it for a little over a year. But I can guarantee you, it won't stop with condiments, and that is what bothers me the most.

5 comments:

  1. My thought is that perhaps she's a bit uptight about some of the more 'liberal' books the library keeps and this is her version of a protest. That's equally disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate it when people don't treat books with respect, especially when those books are from a library or have been borrowed from a private individual. That's why I generally buy the books I really want to read, as opposed to borrowing them from a library. And that's why I also rarely loan my books out. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Squid and the Whale disturbed me, a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, when the cops arrested the old lady with the condiments, did they tell her to "spread 'em" before they frisked her? =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael: I hope they did tell her to. I don't know what she's doing, but it seems kind of pointless.

    Amanda: The movie freaked me out a lot, too. I don't think it was what I expected--I don't know what I expected, though.

    ReplyDelete